Thursday, September 4, 2014

Carbon film ribbons: new old stock at bargain prices

REPOST with UPDATE:


Mike Holt (mikeholt198@yahoo.com) has thousands of non-correcting IBM Selectric I carbon ribbons that have been stored in a temperature-controlled environment. He is closing his business and wants to sell these, preferably in cartons of 144 ribbons, but in smaller quantities if necessary. I got a carton and they're very nice, new old stock.

These carbon ribbons will work not only on Selectrics, but on many manual typewriters, producing crisp black text. You must make sure that the typewriter advances the ribbon quickly enough to avoid overlap of characters. I have used these ribbons successfully on Olympia SM series, Hermes 3000, Groma Kolibri, Olympia SG1, and others.

If you are interested, please contact Mr. Holt directly.


UPDATE:

"I've still got 15 cartons left.  My price is 50 cents a ribbon ($72 per carton). Over the summer I refrained from shipping to the Southwest (Phoenix and San Diego) after UPS said they would be on an un-airconditioned truck for 4 to 5 days in the blazing hot summer the Southwest has experienced.  I'm hoping in a month or two it will be safe to ship to that part of the country." —Mike Holt




3 comments:

TonysVision said...

Wow. $72 would buy me about 10 regular ribbons. I assume they needed to be re-spooled for your Olympias, etc. I've got a lovely font in one of my SMs - Congress, I think, that these would do justice to. Any chance of coaxing you into a comparison image of cloth vs. carbon in the same machine?

Richard P said...

I'm a bit pressed for time, but take a look at this typecast done with a carbon ribbon:
http://writingball.blogspot.com/2012/02/hangman.html

They work well on SMs. Yes, they do need to be respooled. The width is 9/16" but they will fit on spools and typewriters intended for 1/2" ribbons.

TonysVision said...

Well, I never ... don't have time to dig out the digicam, charge the battery, find the card, pull ribbon spools in and out, take pics, edit pics, upload ... really ;)

But many thanks for the info anyhow! That sample looks good - may have me sending off a check.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive